Saturday, October 5, 2013

My Friend is in an Abusive Relationship & I Can't Take it Anymore

Question 2: My friend is in an abusive relationship and has been for a while. I always suspected it but everything was confirmed a few weeks ago when she called me because she was stranded. When I picked her up she had a swollen lip and overall she was a wreck. On one hand I feel bad for her and on the other I’m sooo angry with her. It’s so bad that I hate picking up the phone when she calls because I know it’s something with her and him and I know she knows better! What should I do?


Answer 2: Wow I know that is a hard place to be. When we girls love our friends, we freakin love them so I know exactly how you feeling. So what you should do is: Do not turn your back on her. I know that’s hard news to take in but she needs you. I want you to be clear of 2 things: your friend DOES know better and she DOES NOT like being abused. No matter how many times she goes back she doesn’t like being demeaned and/or beat up on. Honestly, she’s in a space that she can’t explain or understand emotionally, mentally, or physically. If you turn your back on her who will she have in her corner?!?!?! An answer you can’t afford to chance. God forbid you weren’t available that day she was stranded with the swollen lip who would she have turned to? You were placed in her life for a reason, perhaps it’s for such a time. The best thing you can do is give her an ear, be supportive of her well-being, and show empathy. You never know how bad it is on her end and I know you would be devastated if something really terrible happened to her. So continue to encourage her in her greatness, remind her of her strengths, and encourage her in the areas she good in. When she wants to hang out, hang with her. I know it’s hard but she needs you. If she’s your friend be a friend, not a parent or warden. Everywhere she turns she’s reminded that she’s in a terrible relationship that she needs to get out of……be a voice of hope and inspiration. Be an ear and support! Prayerfully your love will help change the situation, but know for sure that your friendship will forever be fundamental.

*All of the question are submitted via FB for KWK Ask Kristen Fridays*


Let's stay connected!

FB- facebook.com/kristenlblack
Twitter-@konversationsk
Instagram-konversations_w_kristen 

No comments:

Post a Comment